Back to the roots

479 BC                   –  Raja Amarjoda, of the Bansi dynasty, was the ruler of region Amroha

676 to 1141 AD     –  Amroha was ruled by Rajputs

589 AH/1093 AD   –  Mahmud of Ghazni conquered Amroha

1240–42 AD          -Behram Shah appointed Malik Jalaluddin to the position of Hakim of Amroha in 1242

December 20 of 1305  –  Alauddin Khalji’s reign, Malik Tughluq and Malik marched through the city to confront the Mongols at the Battle of Amroha.

The Battle of Amroha was fought on December 20 of 1305 when an army of the Delhi Sultanate crushed an invading Mongol army. For years the Mongols have been attacking India’s northwest borders. In an effort to strengthen his defenses Sultan Alauddin Khilji had the forts along the border strengthened and equipped with larger garrisons. New, more effective fortifications were built in the area. A whole new army with its own special governor was created whose mission was managing and guarding the border areas.

Despite these measures, in 1305 a large Mongol raiding army under the leadership of Ali Beg and Tartaq suddenly appeared in the Punjab and the neighborhood of Amroha. The Mongols had traveled advancing south-east, following the Himalayas and plundering all in their way until they reached Amroha.

Alauddin Khilji sent a strong army led by two of his toughest generals: Ghazi Malik and the famous Malik Kafur to engage the invaders. They surprised the Mongols on their way back to Central Asia with their plunder. Kubak and other Mongol generals were captured and brought back to Siri Fort in Delhi, along with other prisoners. Alauddin Khilji had the generals trampled to death by elephants while the other prisoners were put to death and their heads hung from the walls of the fort.

Saiyid Salim was assigned Amroha and Sirsi as an iqta and after his death, the iqta was assigned to his sons.

1642 AD  –  Moradabadi Darwaza, built by Saiyid Abdul Maajid is the only extant gate, The wall was constructed during the reign of Shah Jahan, It is fifty feet high with three parallel arches, covered with a roof.

The gate has been rebuilt, but the structure is same. One could find old rocks and stones before its reconstruction.